Monday, 28 July 2014

Glasgow 2014: Table Tennis

This is the one topic I've been wanting to write the whole night.
Previously in the 2012 London Olympics where Team Singapore paddler Feng Tianwei won a bronze in the women's singles and where the entire women's team of Li Jiawei, Wang Yuegu and Feng Tianwei won a silver in the women's team, a huge portion of Singaporeans made complaints about them being foreigners.
Honestly I don't understand what is wrong with having them to play for us. Although they aren't true blue Singaporeans (i.e. born in Singapore), they have stayed here long enough to change their citizenship.
Not just that. Yesterday night during the medal ceremony of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, it was impossible to ignore the fact that the players, though not true blue Singaporeans, actually know how to sing Majulah Singapura.
You may be like, aiya majulah singapura only, who don't know? Yes I agree that the whole country may know majulah singapure, and most likely know how to sing it. BUT the question is, do you actually sing it?
Our national players who you deem as foreigners out to snatch our rice bowls, are singing the anthem in a country they may never have been to. And it's not for the cameras. It's to show how much national pride they carry.
Also, if you honestly think our national players are out to compete with us for salaries, how about you fly to such sporting events yourself, and if you can achieve what our players get, I pay you their salary? Are you even able to get past the first match against the best players from other countries? I think not. Unless you are able to show your worth, you are simply nothing compared to them.
That's all I have to say for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment